Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Get to Know...Andrea Cremer


photo by Gina Monroe

I am beyond excited to welcome Andrea Cremer, author of the awesome Nightshade, to the blog today! Recently I reviewed Nightshade and told you all how much I loved it...you can check out the review here.

Nightshade, published on October 19, 2010, is the beginning of a trilogy. The main character, Calla, is a Guardian (werewolf) that has always known her purpose in life and her destiny to marry fellow Alpha wolf, Ren. Things change, though when a mysterious new boy comes to town. Shay challenges, not only Calla's relationship with Ren, but also her unflagging loyalty to the Keepers.



I love the “Guardians” in Nightshade. The way that they truly are wolves in “human clothing.” How did you create such primal feeling werewolves?

I grew up in the woods of Northern Wisconsin and spent as many days outdoors as I could. Traditional werewolf tales didn’t appeal to me because they were lacking in comparison to the beautiful, mysterious wolves I admired in the wilderness. In the Guardians I wanted to create a new wolf mythology that reflected the traits I love in wolves and wolf packs.

The wraiths and other enforcers employed by the Keepers were also awesomely terrifying. What type of research did you do to decide what creatures to use and what they should look like?

The wraiths and Keepers didn’t require research – they’re simply products of my crazy imagination. Wraiths appear in many different types of myths and can range from zombie-like to demonesque. I wanted my wraiths to resemble smoke or shadows because I think that the most frightening creatures are those that easily slip in and out of sight.

I have to say that you have one of the best love triangles I’ve read in quite awhile in Nightshade. Did you develop one guy before the other? Did their developing personalities affect each other? (I am firmly Team Ren btw…)

Thank you! Both Shay and Ren surprised me (most of my characters do at some point) when I started writing Nightshade I thought I knew both guys and what their “type” was, but fortunately for me and them their histories and emotions were much more complex than I realized. Neither affected the other’s development – they each just managed to assert their individual quirks, strengths, and flaws on their own. *Wait until you read this book! Each guy is awesome in their own right. Very, very well done.

I know that Wolfsbane is scheduled to come out next year. I can’t wait! Are there more books planned for this world?

Nightshade is a trilogy. Wolfsbane (book 2) will be published on July 12, 2011. Bloodrose (book 3) will be out spring 2012. I’m also writing a fourth book which is a prequel to the series about the origins of the Witches War – it’s set in the 1400s. *I'm over the moon excited to read all of these, and am especially intrigued about the origin of the Keepers, which will be explored in book four.


If you could give one piece of advice to Calla what would it be?

Find your own path.

What was the last book that you read that you would recommend to other readers?

I just read Beth Revis’ Across the Universe, which will be out in January. It’s an amazing book!

Quick Picks: Favorite Vacation Destination? Favorite Childhood Book? Favorite Movie? Favorite Food? Favorite Clothing Item?

Vacation: Italy
Childhood book: Watership Down
Movie: Last of the Mohicans
Food: Spaghetti and Meatballs
Clothing item: Silk blouse, pencil skirt, and tall boots

Andrea, thank you again so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I encourage everyone to read Nightshade immediately! :P Also, check out Andrea Cremer's website and blog for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment