Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Self-Published Author Interview - Megg Jensen

Today, I am super excited to welcome self-published author, Megg Jensen, to the blog! 

A totally adorbable picture of Megg from her website!












Author Bio: (Megg's incredibly concise version, LOL...) I grew up. Went to college. Got married. Got divorced. Got a life. Got married. Had one kid. Adopted a second. And here I am. I love swing dancing, shoes, and my family.

Anyway, as an aspiring author I've become very interested in the last year or so in the self-publishing process, how it compares to traditional publishing, and what authors are feeling about the face of the publishing world right now.

So, I decided to ask Megg a few quick questions about her experience in self-publishing her series, The Song of Eloh Saga.


1. How long did it take you, from first spark of idea to final proofs to write your newest book, The Sundering?

Since The Sundering is the finale of a seven-book cycle, the end has been in my mind since I conceived if Anathema in 2008. When I write my novels, I don't do heavy plotting. I have vague ideas of where I want the story to end. The magic happens on the journey. I actually started writing The Sundering in early 2012. (*Okay, wow. That's actually really fast for first thought to publication...less than a year! Whoa.)

2. How did you originally decide to self-publish? What was the process like for you?

It wasn't a path I ever really considered. In September 2010, I went to a conference with my friend Karly Kirkpatrick. We skipped the final speaker, holed up on two couches in the hotel lobby, and she told me everything she'd learned about self-publishing. Naturally, I thought she was insane, but Karly always has the best ideas and she has them before everyone else. I took her seriously, did my own investigating, and in December I told the two agents who were considering my books that I was withdrawing them from consideration. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time. I've never regretted it, either. I love self-publishing. 

3. So, after you'd officially published your first book, how did your writing/life routine change?

It didn't change too much. I was already an at-home mom, writing a few hours every day. At the time I was also freelancing parenting articles for local and national magazines (under my real name - Megg Jensen is a pen name). My time shifted somewhat because I was spending more time on the business side of publishing. I can't complain, though. I find publishing just as fascinating as writing. I really do love my job - and isn't that what we all want?

4. Any advice for aspiring authors out there?

Never give up. I never advocate anyone to follow me into self-publishing or to go traditional. The paths are totally different. One is not better than the other. They are simply different. But if an aspiring author loves writing, then that should be their main priority. Finish writing a book. Edit it aggressively. Then research the publishing paths. Talk to authors on both sides. See which one appeals more to your personality and goals. But never, ever give up. 

1. Quick Picks List:
Favorite vacation destination- Cape Cod

Favorite childhood book- Harriet the Spy, A Wrinkle in Time, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
*A Wrinkle in Time was one of my absolute favorites forever!*

Favorite writing snack food- Unlike a lot of writers, I don't eat while I write. It's too distracting. 

Favorite clothing item- My UGG cardies. I wear them September through April. :)


Thank you so much for having me!!!!!

Megg, truly, thank YOU so much for coming on my blog today! I'm so happy for you and the successful completion of the Song of Eloh Saga. I'm in the midst of the Cloud Prophet Trilogy now... Hopefully, this little interview will also give some aspiring authors, besides myself, of course, a little more information about self-publishing in today's writing market. :)

To learn more about Megg Jensen and all of her books, you can visit her here!

No comments:

Post a Comment