Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

DNF - Extraordinary


Extraordinary
by Nancy Werlin

Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, and the two girls become as close as sisters . . . until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, shows up during their junior year. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe - but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself.

Soon she'll discover the shocking truth about Ryland and Mallory: that these two are visitors from the faerie realm who have come to collect on an age-old debt. Generations ago, the faerie queen promised Pheobe's ancestor five extraordinary sons in exchange for the sacrifice of one ordinary female heir. But in hundreds of years there hasn't been a single ordinary girl in the family, and now the faeries are dying. Could Phoebe be the first ordinary one? Could she save the faeries, or is she special enough to save herself?(description taken from Amazon.com)

It saddens me to admit that I did not finish (DNF) this book. I LOVED Werlin's previous book, Impossible, and was stoked to finally read this one...

The premise sounded very good. I still like the idea of a generations old debt that must be collected. I love faerie tales. I love that folk tale feeling in books...

I just couldn't connect to either Phoebe, who is supposed to be the main character, or her BFF, Mallory, who sort of steals the spotlight early on... I just couldn't get that invested feeling and so was pushing myself to keep reading. Finally, I gave up. :(

I hate doing that!

In the future, I might try to pick this one up again. It may be I just wasn't in the mood with the holidays, New Year's, etc., but for now...I've moved on to books that keep hollering at me..."Pick me, Pick me!!"

1 comment:

  1. YESSSS! I was so excited about this book as well. Like you, I loved Impossible. This one really fell short for me. I gave it 150 pages and then stopped reading. I even read the end to see if it merited me continuing - it didn't. The dialogue seemed unrealistic and the plot dragged. I am in total agreement.

    ReplyDelete