Pages

Monday, October 25, 2010

Author Event - Ghost and Graves Tour: Jessica Verday and Michelle Zink

I was lucky enough to attend the "Ghosts and Grave Tour" stop at the Otis Library in Norwich, CT today. As some of you know, I am friends with their YA Librarian, Jen, also known as Yabooknerd. As soon as she let me know that both Michelle Zink and Jessica Verday were coming to her Library, I worked my schedule so that I could go be a little fangirl!

Both Jessica (left) and Michelle (right) read from their books. It was awesome to hear the authors read their own work. They also answered lots of questions and explained why they were touring together - answer: they both write what could be termed "YA horror" books, though Jessica's are contemporary supernatural and Michelle's are historical gothic.

I was beyond excited to meet Michelle Zink. I adored her book, Prophecy of the Sisters (see my glowing review here), and am beyond excited now to read my shiny new signed copy of its sequel, Guardian of the Gate.



As you can see I'm very happy with my signed copies of the books! I also got some really, really great bookmarks and a perfectly book sized bag, that said "Prophecy of the Sisters" on the side to take my books home in... *squee!



I also got to meet Jessica Verday, who was wearing the chicest outfit ever, btw., and found out that we actually have the same name! Verday is a "pen name" based on her middle name, but her real name is also Jessica Miller. :) OMG - I think she may be my way cooler, author alter-ego. Awesome!

I took home a signed copy of her first book, The Hollow, and will get its sequel The Haunted on my Nook eventually. I didn't have enough money to get it tonight... :( Oh well. As Jen's unofficial, semi VIP guest (*squee, again!), Jessica also gave me an awesome t-shirt, that I'm trying to figure out how I can incorporate into my work wardrobe.





The front of the t-shirt says, "R.U.H2?" The back says, " Haunted by the Hollow - www.JessicaVerday.com" So cool!


*Update - Look I managed to rock my free t-shirt at work, paired with a skirt and swingy cardigan!*

As part of their tour, the ladies both gave out door prizes. Jessica gave out samples of the perfumes from her books, a copy of The Haunted, and a CD that helped inspire the books. Michelle gave out a copy of The Prophecy of the Sisters, a CD that her son originally composed that is inspired by the books (which I won, OMG!), and together they gave out an Ipod Shuffle.



Jessica and Michelle were super sweet and gracious enough to pose for pictures for Jen and I. I can't tell you how awesome it was to meet them both and we even got hugs goodbye!! (pictured above, Jessica Verday, Jen, Me, and Michelle Zink)

I want to give a huge shout-out and thank you to my friend, Jen, who was an amazing hostess (and even made awesome gravestone shaped cookies)!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It sounds great! I will say again, so jealous that you got to go! The authors seem so cool :) show me some of your signed things when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I can't wait to see the READ poster that Jen creates from her pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun! We recently went to our first ones and they're a blast! congrats on the signed copies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I love going to things like BEA where you get tons of stuff, but there's nothing like getting real one-on-one time with really cool authors!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so awesome meeting you, Jessica!! Had so much fun. And I love how you rocked the shirt!
    <3

    MZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I HAD to wear it to work to show it off! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! I LOVED how you rocked the shirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Jen! Your outfit at the event, minus the pain-inducing but awesome boots, was partially my inspiration! Best way to dress up a t...add a skirt! :)

    ReplyDelete