Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Justin Case: School, Drool and Other Daily Disasters


Justin Case: School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters
by Rachel Vail

It’s the start of the school year, and nothing feels right to Justin. He didn’t get the teacher he wanted, he’s not in the same class as his best friend, and his little sister, Elizabeth, is starting kindergarten at his school. Elizabeth doesn’t seem nervous at all. Justin is very nervous about third grade. And to top it off, he’s lost his favorite stuffed animal, but he can’t tell anyone, because technically he’s too old to still have stuffed animals. Right? (description from Amazon.com)

Such a good book. I was a little surprised when I picked it up...for some reason I thought Justin was older than third grade when I checked it out from the Library, but it was still excellent even though it was really for a much younger audience.

Justin is a really lovable little boy. He is a full on worrywort. I had forgotten all of the things that had made me terrified as a kid! I loved that he had personalities for all of his stuffed animals and that he spent the year learning how to survive without his favorite, even though he missed it terribly.

In fact, Justin spends the whole year trying to become braver and watching him take this journey was very heartwarming. I rooted wholeheartedly for Justin as he made new friends, climbed the superhigh rope in gym class, and gets through the first few months of having a new and super drooly, excitable dog!

With cute illustrations and a great story, this book was really good. I hope that Rachel Vail plans to write another book about Justin's fourth grade adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment