Pages

Monday, January 22, 2018

Quickie Review: The Dark Descendant

The Dark Descendant by Jenna Black
Nikki Glass series, book one
Pocket Books, 2011 - ebook owned in personal collection

I've been reading a lot of adult urban fantasy and paranormal romance in the last few years and have found that they are two subgenres that I really generally enjoy.  I had read Black's Faeriewalker series years ago and really enjoyed them.  I'm pretty sure that was around the time I'd originally purchased this ebook wanting to try out one of Black's other series.

I don't know if my memory is fuzzy because it's been so long, or if because the Faeriewalker series was geared more towards a YA audience, but I was somewhat shocked by how DARK this series was in comparison to my memory of Black's other books. I’m a reader who loves fantasy, but is also a pragmatist. Meaning that while I love a HEA as much as the next reader, I also find fault if things wrap up too easily. I tend to enjoy more books that explore the not-so-happy, but realistic endings. However...I’m not sure if I’m a little more sensitive in today’s social climate (#metoo, etc) or if I just have grown out of needing threats of rape and such to move a plot along, but I felt like there was so much violence against women and weaker people in this book that it was actually hard to handle.

I found myself cringing as yet another woman was brutally threatened and attacked and then the violence was brushed off as “not being as bad as what the original Greek gods did.” It was a great concept for a book, but I just didn’t have the stomach for it apparently. Maybe someday I’ll pick up the next book and see if it’s any less cringe-worthy then, but there are so many books out there....

Recommended mythological urban fantasies: Venom and Vanilla by Shannon Mayer and Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (YA).


No comments:

Post a Comment