Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

City of Lies

City of Lies
by Lian Tanner
The Keepers Trilogy, book two

Goldie Roth is a trained thief and a skilled liar. Along with her friend Toadspit, she's supposed to be one of the Keepers of the mysterious Museum of Dunt. But although she desperately wants to be a Keeper, she will not leave her sick parents to do so. But when Toadspit's sister Bonnie is stolen, he and Goldie are forced to follow the child-stealers to the neighboring city of Spoke. Along the way, Toadspit too is captured, and Goldie is caught up in the Festival of Lies, where every word she says means something else and no one can be trusted. There, Goldie discovers some dangerous secrets—secrets that the child-stealers will kill to protect. She will need all her skills as a thief and a liar if she is to survive and save her friends. (description from Amazon.com)
 
I have to confess, I did not quite love this book as much as I did the first in the trilogy. There were sections where I found myself just a tad confused. However, I did really enjoy the concept for this book and still found Goldie to be a fantastic main character. I think what I really missed, though, was the darkly captivating Museum of Dunt... it's such a fantastic setting and I cannot wait to follow Goldie's next adventure as she ventures deep inside...
 
This series is a really great dystopian fantasy with interesting characters and political intrigue galore. I HIGHLY recommend the first book, Museum of Thieves, and look forward to finishing the series.
 
Full disclosure: Book purchased for my own collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment