Pages

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Turning

















The Turning 
by Francine Prose 

A dark house.
An isolated island.
Strange dreams
and even stranger visions . . .


Jack is spending the summer on a private island far from modern conveniences. No Wi-Fi, no cell service, no one else on the island but a housekeeper and the two very peculiar children in his care. The first time Jack sees the huge black mansion atop a windswept hill, he senses something cold, something more sinister than even the dark house itself.

Soon, he feels terribly isolated and alone. Yet he is not alone. The house has visitors—peering in the windows, staring from across the shore. But why doesn't anyone else see them . . . and what do they want? As secrets are revealed and darker truths surface, Jack desperately struggles to maintain a grip on reality. He knows what he sees, and he isn't crazy. . . . Or is he? (Description from Amazon.com)

I have to be honest. I wanted to like this one a lot more than I did. The idea was spooky and I liked the beginning, but I got bored reading. I actually found myself trying to skip to the end just to see what happened, because I was too impatient to wait until I naturally got there. 

I didn't really connect to any of the characters and though I found the house to be cool and liked the remote setting, I don't think it was enough for me.  Sadly, I just didn't enjoy it overmuch. 

Full disclosure: Borrowed from my library

No comments:

Post a Comment