Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Before I Fall


Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: the world's most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High - from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

It turns out to be her last.

Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death - and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
(description from Amazon.com)


Okay, I don't usually give an extra rating on my reviews here, but this is a MUST READ book. Now saying that, I know that I'm actually behind and most of you have already read this, but if not...OMG. Go read it now...right now!

This is earning a gold star from me. It is an amazing debut and I cannot wait to read Oliver's next book, Delirium when it comes out.

Oliver has a true way with words. Her descriptions were lush and evocative. I caught myself getting caught up just in the scenery, the "feeling" of each moment, let alone dealing with the action and emotions of the story. As Sam relived her day over and over and over, it was like watching someone go through the stages of grief. Each day had a different feeling to it, anger, frustration, hopelessness, joy, acceptance. It was beautiful and thought-provoking to experience with Sam.

I actually listened to this as an audiobook and it was expertly done. The narrator was fantastic. All the emotions came across clearly and truthfully. I cried at times. I laughed. I cringed. My only complaint...the only one...was that the epilogue had music layered over it that swelled just a little too much and I had some trouble hearing the end of the narration. Other than that I consider both this book and its audio counterpart to be MUST HAVES for libraries.

Full disclosure: Audiobook received to review for School Library Journal

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too. So looking forward to Delirium

    ReplyDelete