Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Waiting For Normal


Waiting for Normal
by Leslie Connor

Addie is waiting for normal. But Addie's mother has an all-or-nothing approach to life: a food fiesta or an empty pantry, her way or no way. All-or-nothing never adds up to normal, and it can't bring Addie all to home, where she wants to be with her half sisters. But Addie never stops hoping that one day, maybe, she'll find normal. (description taken from Amazon.com)

This book touched my heart. I really loved it and highly recommend it to everyone. Addie is one of those characters that you just root wholeheartedly for, and just cannot wait to see finally succeed. I laughed, I cried, I hooted with joy...I went through the emotional wringer and came out the other side amazingly happy.

Addie is left to take care of herself all too often. She has mastered the art of "toast meals." Concoctions that often involved toast with heated soup poured over the top because that was all that could be found in the pantry. (As much as it pained me to think of this little girl making toast dinners, as she described them I would find my mouth watering...) She misses her mother when she goes out to "job interviews," she misses her step-father and half sisters who now live without her, but what's amazing about Addie is even through her realistic life view...she shines with hope.

This is a girl that just will not let life get her down. Sure, she has her moments, I, for one could hardly blame her!, but she never stays upset for long. She has learned to take in the good in every situation and not only keeps plugging along, but draws others into her happy circle.

Without a doubt, Addie is one of my favorite characters ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment