Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reading Meme Questionnaire

Reading Habits is a meme going around the blogosphere right now. One of my friend bloggers, Jen at yabooknerd just did this and our answers were similar (fun!), so I thought I would try it out, too.

Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack:
In the evenings or on weekends, sometimes, though I'm trying to quit that habit because it's usually some kind of candy or chips...not so good finger foods! My fave = skittles!

What is your favorite drink while reading?
Coffee.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Absolutely not! I even hesitated to do that in college, instead buying those little pointer sticky note things to mark where on a page I was looking, but making the actual note to myself in a notebook.

How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
I have done all of the above in the past...sadly! I used to dog-ear the pages when I was a teen, but now I use bookmarks. I LOVE the magnetic ones that just clip onto the page so they don't fall out. If I'm just getting up for a sec, though, sometimes I'll lay the book open flat til I get right back to it!

Fiction, non-fiction, or both?
Almost always fiction, though I will stray to non-fiction on certain topics (shoes, shopping, food, etc.)

Are you a person who tends to read to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
Usually I try to stop at the end of a chapter or if I can't, at least at the end of a section where there is a visual break on the page. Sometimes at work, though, I just have to stop wherever, but I hate coming back and having to figure out where I left off.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you?
NO. I do shut the book and huff and have to tell my husband about things I really hate sometimes, though. (or blog about it!)

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?
No. Usually I can pick up the meaning from the context of the writing around it. If it really bothers me I will look it up later...

What are you currently reading?
The Strawberry Picker by Monika Feth, Startled by His Furry Shorts by Louise Rennison, and Groosham Grange by Anthony Horowitz.

What is the last book you bought?
For me: Silvertongue by Charlie Fletcher
For work: Replacement copy of Starlet by Randi Reisfeld

Are you the type of person that reads one book at a time, or can you read more than one?
I have one I read in print at home, one I listen to on audio in the car, and one I read for work at any given time.

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
I always carry a book with me in case of unplanned reading time, but my favorite place to read is in bed. I read for about an hour every night before I go to sleep.

Do you prefer series books or stand alones?
Either, although I love series books because there are characters I simply NEED to spend me time with. (stolen directly from Jen b/c I loved her answer!!)

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?
Maria V. Snyder, The Hunger Games, The Host, Tamora Pierce, Ender's Game, The Wednesday Wars, The House of Night series, The Morganville Vampires series, The Chicagoland Vampires series, and a lot more.

How do you organize your books? (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)
My bookshelves at home used to be organized by size of book (i.e. mass paperback, trade paperback, hardcover), then series genres (romance, YA, mystery, sci-fi, etc.), then series author, then within the series by order, or if not part of a series the books would be alphabetized by title within author section...don't forget I'm a Librarian, so all my books were alphabetized/organized so that I could find them immediately...until the shelves began to overflow!! Now, they are stuck in wherever they will fit that would be closest to where I would put them if they could fit. Sigh.

What about you?

2 comments:

  1. I saw this meme elsewhere. I love reading the responses to it. We all read differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love checking out other peoples' habits, too. It's interesting to see how even though we have differences, I can usually always find at least ONE thing that is similar!

    ReplyDelete