Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Siege and Storm

















Siege and Storm
by Leigh Bardugo
The Grisha Trilogy, book two

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can't outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling's game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm. (description from Amazon.com)

A stellar second installment in this dark fantasy trilogy. (Check out my gold star review for book one, Shadow and Bone) Again, Bardugo's world feels alive and real in a way some authors struggle to achieve. The eastern European feeling is evident throughout and I still felt like I could just step into Alina's world and feel the Darkling's power threatening everyone.

The shivers that I felt reading the first book were ramped up a notch and I found myself unable to stop reading as I dove deeper and deeper into Alina's desperate situation. I loved that she was torn, unable to stop thirsting for power, but conscious that she must keep herself in check to save her people.

I cannot wait to see how this darkly fascinating story ends.


Full disclosure: Borrowed from my Library

No comments:

Post a Comment