Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Something to Hold

Something to Hold
by Katherine Schlick Noe

Can a white girl feel at home on an Indian reservation?

Based on the author’s childhood experience in the early 1960s, this debut novel centers on Kitty, whose father is a government forester at Warm Springs Reservation, Oregon. Kitty is one of only two white kids in her class, and the Indian kids are keeping their distance. With time, Kitty becomes increasingly aware of the tensions and prejudices between Indians and whites, and of the past injustice and pain still very much alive on the reservation. Time also brings friendships and opportunities to make a difference.  (description from Amazon.com)

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It wasn't my favorite book, but after seeing the cover and the description, I had pretty much expected to have to push myself to finish this one. As I read, though, I found myself easily drawn in and fascinated by Kitty's experience and viewpoint on the reservation. It was very interesting to see how the Native Americans were treated and to see how at first they didn't trust her and shunned her, but really it was only because she was acting shy.  I enjoyed watching the friendships develop between the various kids and thought the author did a great job with the whole concept of this book.  Not a stunner of a book, but solid and enjoyable.

Full disclosure: Borrowed through inter-library loan 

No comments:

Post a Comment