Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Author Interview - Georgia Clark!

So, on Monday I reviewed Georgia Clark's new YA dystopia, Parched (check out my review here). Today, I'm lucky enough to welcome Georgia to the blog to answer a few questions! 

Photo from Georgia Clark's Goodreads page 












1. How long did it take you, from first spark of idea to final proofs to write your newest book, Parched?

I started working on Parched the year I moved to New York from Sydney: 2009, towards the end. I handed in the final manuscript to my publishers at the end of 2013. But I was working on it on and off, and the first draft barely resembles the final one. It took a long time, because I was basically teaching myself how to write a full-blown dystopian sci-fi as I went.

2. What kind of research did you do to write a book about a teen living in a domed city because the outside environment was considered unlivable?

I did a lot of research! I listened to podcasts about artificial intelligence, interviewed scientists and other experts, talked to smart friends, subscribed to Popular Science magazine, read similar YA titles etc etc. most of my research centered around AI and robotics, which I didn't know much about when I started working, but am somewhat of an expert in now. I've even given talks on it, here in Brooklyn!

3. If you could write a book under a pseudonym that no one would ever connect to you, are there any genres you would love to secretly explore?

The only topics I’d feel the need to secretly explore would be topics that would be risky for me. The very real danger that feminist journalists are getting into over #GamerGate is frightening, but so important they’re speaking up. So something like that. Everything else I’d slap my name on and yell it from the rooftops!

4. If you could cross one thing off your bucket list tomorrow, what would it be?

Assuming money was no object? I’d love to go scuba-diving in the Greek Isles. This would feed my fondness for sun, the ocean, and olive oil. I also really need to try the Salted Caramel ice cream at Blue Marble in Park Slope. I’ve heard it’s amazing.

Quick picks list:

Favorite vacation destination – The Amalfi Coast, Italy. My friends and I stayed in a 4-story, 400-year-old villa there for a week last summer. Thank you Air BnB! Truly spectacular part of the world.

Favorite childhood book – I inhaled Susan Cooper’s Over Sea, Under Stone series. Classic YA fantasy. Also loved Enid Blyton’s Magic Faraway Tree series: fantastic, highly imaginative early chapter series.

Favorite writing snack food - Financier’s chocolate macaroons. Little slice of heaven, right there. I always spend ten minutes critically assessing every delicious-looking pastry in their display cabinet, then get the same thing every time.

Favorite clothing item - I have a great pair of beautiful tan leather boots I bought in Bologna, Italy, many years ago that are still going strong. And, like every Brookline, I have a khaki-green cotton parka that I basically live in.

Thank you so much, Georgia, for stopping by to visit today! 

Author Bio
I'm a young adult novelist with a weakness for hot nerds and cheese platters, not necessarily in that order. I live in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, and spend a lot of time hanging out with improvisers and searching for the perfect pair of skinny jeans. I love Katniss, Katsa, Karou, Clary, Grace, Puck, Lena—you get the picture.

Places to Contact Georgia:

No comments:

Post a Comment