Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Rebel Belle

Rebel Belle
by Rachel Hawkins

Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
(Description from Goodreads.com

I had been so utterly excited for this book.  I loved Rachel Hawkins other series, Hex Hall.  She writes great snappy, funny dialogue and the storylines were great.  I had expected to LOVE this book.  Sadly, while I enjoyed parts of it, I found that this particular book just didn't hold my interest.  

The beginning was great.  I loved the set up and in the beginning I really liked Harper's character.  As the story went on, I also really enjoyed the introduction of the other characters.  Especially David.  I think that Hawkins is a super talented author at creating funny, realistic dialogue.  In fact, I would read a whole contemporary romance book just based around conversations if Hawkins wrote it! 

So, what didn't work for me?  I think that it was the whole mix of Southern culture and supernatural abilities/secret society/apocalypse stuff.  I just wanted it really to be one or the other.  I was so disappointed to have to admit that I just didn't care about the whole reason that Harper's life suddenly does a 180!  Until the twist at the end with the prophetic dream foretelling someone very important's death...and then I cared for a heartbeat.  Will I read the sequel?  Probably not....but if Hawkins writes another Hex Hall book or starts a new series you can bet your little tushie that I'll be reading it ASAP! 

Full disclosure: Book borrowed from my Library

1 comment: